Ask A Genius 255 – Blobs of Information Processing
Scott Douglas Jacobsen & Rick Rosner
August 10, 2017
[Beginning of recorded material]
Rick Rosner: So you can imagine two centuries from now, it’s impossible to predict, but you can imagine large blobs, large agglomerations of information processing machinery. Whatever comes after, you’ve got mega, then you have Giga, then you have Tera, then you have Peta and Femto, take that another three or four prefixes, or five prefixes, you know whatever stands for ten to the I don’t know, twenty seventh? Calculations per second.
Machinery that can do that many calculations per second, but in a shared way that kind of acts like consciousness. One blob squaring off against an equally powerful blob, just to hold onto their section of the world’s information processing real estate.
And you can imagine people living in those things. In cyber worlds, because it’s just cheaper to live there, because there’s preservation there. If the blobs are durable and you can store yourself, multiple copies of yourself in case of mishap or foul play.
[End of recorded material]
American Television Writer
Scott Douglas Jacobsen
Editor-in-Chief, In-Sight Publishing
 Four format points for the session article:
- Bold text following “Scott Douglas Jacobsen:” or “Jacobsen:” is Scott Douglas Jacobsen & non-bold text following “Rick Rosner:” or “Rosner:” is Rick Rosner.
- Session article conducted, transcribed, edited, formatted, and published by Scott.
- Footnotes & in-text citations in the interview & references after the interview.
- This session article has been edited for clarity and readability.
For further information on the formatting guidelines incorporated into this document, please see the following documents:
- American Psychological Association. (2010). Citation Guide: APA. Retrieved from http://www.lib.sfu.ca/system/files/28281/APA6CitationGuideSFUv3.pdf.
- Humble, A. (n.d.). Guide to Transcribing. Retrieved from http://www.msvu.ca/site/media/msvu/Transcription%20Guide.pdf.
License and Copyright
In-Sight Publishing and In-Sight: Independent Interview-Based Journal by Scott Douglas Jacobsen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at www.in-sightjournal.com and www.rickrosner.org.
© Scott Douglas Jacobsen, Rick Rosner, and In-Sight Publishing and In-Sight: Independent Interview-Based Journal 2012-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Scott Douglas Jacobsen, Rick Rosner, and In-Sight Publishing and In-Sight: Independent Interview-Based Journal with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.